TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 01:25:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,280
  • Total Topics: 21,227
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 189
  • Total: 189

setting security of TP stuff on SMF

Started by ynohtna, October 25, 2005, 01:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynohtna

So my eyes are a bit fuzzy after installing TP today, been going through options setting up the front page as I like to see it only to realize that all the stuff I set can only be seen by the administrator.  Guests have only the Recent forum posts block visible on the left side. the content, and user blocks on the left side are gone. 

I did a little search and found this thread http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?topic=181.0 but I'm not sure it's part of my problem since it's an old version.

Anyhow, I created a group called members and mimic'd the permissions from regular members and when I logged in with a user in that group, I got even less showing.  Just news and forum and no blocks at all.  Is there a place to set this security?  I must be missing something!

Thanks.

IchBin

All Blocks can have their own permissions for each member group or guests. If you click on the edit icon to edit a block you can check which groups you want to be able to view the block.

ynohtna

thank you, I knew I was simply looking too hard!

IchBin

No problem. TP's Admin section seems to be getting bigger than the Tiny Portal. :) Just takes a while before you figure it all out.

ynohtna

Ya and this portal rocks.  Considering it's the first one I tried.  It has great flexibility too!

bloc

its all in the name..tiny = > fast+simple(?). But its admin section is getting bigger... ;D

I could move all permissions for blocks to SMF admin section..but it will be a lot to keep tabs on - better to have it on one place in TP, outside SMF admin. The only linking are the actual membergroups, which of course is dealt with in SMF. Upgrades to SMF won't affect TP either then. (unless they change the membergroups system totally = not likely).

ynohtna

well I would've expected a 'Edit blocks Security Options' section.  But I guess the edit button on each block will suffice :)

bloc

As default, all membergroups are "chosen" when you create a new block - so it should be easy to "knock out" the ones that shouldn't see it.