TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 09:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,280
  • Total Topics: 21,227
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 273
  • Total: 273

Tired updates didn't work so I broke my forum...help me

Started by MGT_STC007, January 10, 2007, 08:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGT_STC007

This is the third place I have asked this question...if this isn't going to get me any help this time and I just get another comment from the MOD telling me to post it in the right place I'm done with SMF and TP.

Ok well I tried doing this update and kept getting and error on the template.index.php on instal.  So from taken advice I unistalled every mod I had.  It still did it.  Next I installed a new forum all together in a different location and it worked then.  My next step was a foolish one...I took the database info and tried to switch them on each forum so the maybe I'd get lucky and the new forum would work on the old database.  Now my 900 member forum is a blank page and I have done every type of back up I can think of to restore it and I have made no progress at all...I still have a blank page for a forum.

Major help needed.

Svaha

I understand that you're upset now, but the bold text is not going to help you, please breathe in and out a few times and give more details, for instance what was the old version number of smf tp, what database are you using now, the old one before the update?

G6Cad

QuoteThis is the third place I have asked this question...if this isn't going to get me any help this time and I just get another comment from the MOD telling me to post it in the right place I'm done with SMF and TP.

If the setup we have here doesent suit what you like it to be, feel free to leave, we have diffrent parts for the forum for News (where we write up the news = No support on errors there. We have theme section = support on themes, and we have TP Support and Development = Support on install errors and other errors with how TP works.

If you dont think thats fair for us to have it that way, i really dont care if you use our software or not..

And just because you replied like you did, i wont even BOTHER to give you any help eather.  >:D

pheasant_plucker

All you need do with your fresh forum folder is copy over settings.php from the old one and then rename the new forum folder to the same as your old one thereby replacing it.

IchBin

Sounds to me like you were sitting on the old version, then installed a new forum to another folder. And now you're trying to get the new installation to use the old database? You can do that. The database has to be the same version of SMF. So if your old one is SMF 1.1 RC3 and you install the new SMF 1.1.1 then you need to open your old install and upgrade it before you can use it on your new installation.

MGT_STC007

You are a total ass and give Bloc a bad rep...I can't believe your level of arrogance clearly seen in the way you handle clients.  Unbelievable and insulting to say the very least.
Quote from: G6Ã,â,,¢ on January 10, 2007, 11:01:21 AM
QuoteThis is the third place I have asked this question...if this isn't going to get me any help this time and I just get another comment from the MOD telling me to post it in the right place I'm done with SMF and TP.

If the setup we have here doesent suit what you like it to be, feel free to leave, we have diffrent parts for the forum for News (where we write up the news = No support on errors there. We have theme section = support on themes, and we have TP Support and Development = Support on install errors and other errors with how TP works.

If you dont think thats fair for us to have it that way, i really dont care if you use our software or not..

And just because you replied like you did, i wont even BOTHER to give you any help eather.  >:D

MGT_STC007

Sounds simple...however in my haste and dissapointment in the response I received the first time I asked for help I went even further and cleaned everything out.  I have to new forum up on the new url and I do have a back up sql from about a month ago from right before I updated to 1.1.1..

I'm really lost right now and need some realy strong assistance to get this thing back up if possible to do that now.

Please PM me with anything you can do for me as I'm not in good spirits posting for help on this forum at the momment.

Quote from: IchBinÃ,â,,¢ on January 10, 2007, 02:08:17 PM
Sounds to me like you were sitting on the old version, then installed a new forum to another folder. And now you're trying to get the new installation to use the old database? You can do that. The database has to be the same version of SMF. So if your old one is SMF 1.1 RC3 and you install the new SMF 1.1.1 then you need to open your old install and upgrade it before you can use it on your new installation.

G6Cad

QuoteYou are a total ass and give Bloc a bad rep...I can't believe your level of arrogance clearly seen in the way you handle clients.  Unbelievable and insulting to say the very least.

Wasent rude at all until you began this thread. And again, if you are not pleased feel free to leave, im not some kind of a thing you own...

madron

Quote from: G6â„¢ on January 10, 2007, 11:01:21 AM

This is not productive in keeping a membership base growing. I value customer service above ALL else.  And when I am told to go find it myself, and I am in a panic, you can bet your sweet pixels I won't return to that board.

When people, who are not Devs, lost a huge database, they tend to not think clearly, hence we miss simple rules and directions as we are spinning out of control.  I just don't find that this comment was necessary to a potential valuable member of the community, not to mention, word of mouth does far more than any adversement could.

My apologies if I stepped out of line here, but the quote does NOT reflect what I have come to know about TP.  We all have bad days, but I do expect far better behavior of any staff, of any board, than I expect from its members.  Telling someone to look it up is fine, its all in how you word it. Verbage could in fact, cost you a customer!

I have pmd you Sir.
Madron

G6Cad

QuoteThis is not productive in keeping a membership base growing. I value customer service above ALL else.  And when I am told to go find it myself, and I am in a panic, you can bet your sweet pixels I won't return to that board.

Before you come on in here and start stamping on me, please read the other posts he made in the other forums WHERE i pointed him to the forums with the help and where he could get BETTER respons, cant believe you are junping on me for the site rules and me try to keep them.

The NEWS forum = NEWS not SUPPORT, but if you feel like im wrong, and you are right even if I just pointed him in the TP SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT for HELP, and he applied to ME in a rude way back for the help he got to WHERE TO FIND the answers, you are somewhat out of your mind, to KEPP support, and keep the help running here, and for you that panic with lost DBs and blank forums to have to look all over 90k posts with no structure to them, You are so welcome and point the members that really need help in 90k ways in here.

And again, if my free of charge work on my free time doesent fit your glove, then dont visit, I dont care less in what you think.
However i DO care about this forum, and the structure, and the rules that are set up to keep it as clean as possible and easy to find things in.
Also i really do care of the members that are so happy for us to actually HAVE a structure where we know how to help, where the help is located, and how to help them out when they are panicing.

Quotecost you a customer!

Just for the record, this is not a paied software, it's free ;) in all aspects.  :D