TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

June 23, 2024, 08:10:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,279
  • Total Topics: 21,226
  • Online today: 211
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 145
  • Total: 146
  • @rjen

ShoutBox, speaking of...

Started by Ken., February 02, 2015, 06:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

This removal of the + sign got me very puzzled, it seems to be removed no matter what I change. Could it be something in the javascript? I wonder...

And to make it more strange, adding + do work in shoutbox admin screen.

bloc

Ok, I am not sure it worth "fixing" the disappearance of the plus sign. This is something the ajax code in JQuery does to the data, probably for security reasons.

Since the shoutbox use this ajax code in both ajax mode AND no-ajax mode(you need to press the input button but the code still goes to the ajax code) I would need to rewrite it a bit, just to fix this thing. I think I'll leave it be for now and focus on new code.

Has this error been reported several times other than from the team? In other words, anyone noticed it? :)

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on February 03, 2015, 06:26:26 PM

Has this error been reported several times other than from the team? In other words, anyone noticed it? :)

Haven't seen anyone else mention it.  Only newday, further back in this thread.  ;)

newday

Can you tell me what lines would need to be rewritten? Also any terms I could google to get a better understanding of the cause? I'll gladly fix it myself [and do all the reading required to understand it], I just need a few pointers.

Good job on the forum btw, it's getting better and better every time I visit.

Quote from: bloc on February 03, 2015, 06:26:26 PM
Ok, I am not sure it worth "fixing" the disappearance of the plus sign. This is something the ajax code in JQuery does to the data, probably for security reasons.

Since the shoutbox use this ajax code in both ajax mode AND no-ajax mode(you need to press the input button but the code still goes to the ajax code) I would need to rewrite it a bit, just to fix this thing. I think I'll leave it be for now and focus on new code.

WillyP

Quote from: bloc on February 03, 2015, 04:21:11 PM
This removal of the + sign got me very puzzled, it seems to be removed no matter what I change. Could it be something in the javascript? I wonder...

And to make it more strange, adding + do work in shoutbox admin screen.

newday, sounds to me like bloc has tried to fix it and was unable. By process of elimination, he has concluded it's in the javascript. If the Jquery Ajax function is doing this, then you should start with that.

bloc

Yes, its not so easy as it seems..I have some plans for not using JQuery for the shoutbox, but not in the 1.1 version. So for now the curious plus-sign bug will have to remain.

ZarPrime

I'd say just type "plus" rather than "+".

ZarPrime

BTW, when we start working on 2.0, I'd really like for us to be able to have multiple shoutboxes, but we can talk about that later.

ZarPrime

Hmmm, I thought we tested this one time and had it fixed a while back. Take a look at the shouftbox. I typed  " 21 ℉ tonight here which is about -6 ℃" without the quotes.

ZarPrime

OK, I figured it out. I did indeed test this (see attached image). I used a single degree sign at that time and put a space after it, followed by the F or C, like 21° F.

I have a unicode app on my tablet that combines the degree sign and the F or C, depending on whether you search for "degrees fahrenheit" or "degrees celsius", so that it looks like 21 ℉ tonight here which is about -6 ℃. Interesting.