TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

June 30, 2024, 05:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,283
  • Total Topics: 21,227
  • Online today: 93
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78

How can I change the default font color of Shoutbox entries?

Started by mrsundertaker, February 07, 2015, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsundertaker

Link to my forum: http://nwoclan dot net
SMF version: SMF ver. 2.0.9
TP version: 1.107
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Iron Sharpens Iron
Browser Name and Version: Browser name/version here
Mods installed: Signature Area BBCode Buttons, TinyPortal
Related Error messages: None

Unless a color is selected, the text of shouts is pale gray. Almost invisible on the white background. I'm assuming this is because I have a dark theme. How can I change the default font color to black?

lurkalot

Quote from: mrsundertaker on February 07, 2015, 11:57:01 PM
Link to my forum: http://nwoclan dot net
SMF version: SMF ver. 2.0.9
TP version: 1.107
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Iron Sharpens Iron
Browser Name and Version: Browser name/version here
Mods installed: Signature Area BBCode Buttons, TinyPortal
Related Error messages: None

Unless a color is selected, the text of shouts is pale gray. Almost invisible on the white background. I'm assuming this is because I have a dark theme. How can I change the default font color to black?

Yes, this has been a problem when using dark themes.  I use these replacement files to overcome it.

http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=32443.msg267377#msg267377 

You'll have to open that TPShout.css file up and change the address of your theme before uploading it to your theme folder though.  ;)

this bit,
background: url(images/shout_arrow.png)

To, for example,
background: url(/Themes/nameofyourtheme/images/shout_arrow.png)

Once done upload both files to your "nameofyourtheme" images folder.  Press Ctrl + F% on your keyboard to see the changes.

Hope this helps.

bloc

That image should really be just css...i'll see if it can be improved for the next version.

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on February 08, 2015, 10:38:52 AM
That image should really be just css...i'll see if it can be improved for the next version.

bloc, I was going to post about that very thing, but glad to see you're on the case. The shoutbox has always been a pain to use with dark themes, the css file that Maxx put together has been a real help. 

bloc

Ideally themes in general should have a setting if they were "dark" or "light", so that mods can use that accordingly. A mod could supply a extra stylesheet specially suited for dark themes and it would be auto-loaded just by checking the theme settings.

Using images as I did here is about the worst lol, since you need to change the actual graphics as well as change the CSS.

mrsundertaker

Quote from: lurkalot on February 08, 2015, 09:25:02 AM
Yes, this has been a problem when using dark themes.  I use these replacement files to overcome it.

http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=32443.msg267377#msg267377 

You'll have to open that TPShout.css file up and change the address of your theme before uploading it to your theme folder though.  ;)

this bit,
background: url(images/shout_arrow.png)

To, for example,
background: url(/Themes/nameofyourtheme/images/shout_arrow.png)

Once done upload both files to your "nameofyourtheme" images folder.  Press Ctrl + F% on your keyboard to see the changes.

Hope this helps.

This does help - thank you. I think I would rather have just changed the font color, but this is good too.

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on February 08, 2015, 11:12:15 AM
Ideally themes in general should have a setting if they were "dark" or "light", so that mods can use that accordingly. A mod could supply a extra stylesheet specially suited for dark themes and it would be auto-loaded just by checking the theme settings.

Using images as I did here is about the worst lol, since you need to change the actual graphics as well as change the CSS.

Spose I would be nice to have color setting in Shout admin, And the ability to show certain blocks in certain themes, like you can with the forum boards.

Although this would mean creating a shout block for each theme.

ZarPrime

Quote from: mrsundertaker on February 08, 2015, 03:52:40 PM
This does help - thank you. I think I would rather have just changed the font color, but this is good too.

That is another problem with the shoutbox currently. Unless I'm mistaken, the text in the shoutbox uses the bodytext css. We might as well look at that while we are working on the shoutbox code.

bloc

Well, we can change the color of the text in the shoutbox to a specific color so it always work on the white background that is used for the shoutbox currently..but the problem will cascade further down, as the BBC tags use their own colors - and those are set in the current theme. Setting a color on shoutbox will override those, meaning we either have to set all link and BBC tag colors correctly(to suit a white background mind you) or have all of them just plain black color.

I think the current fix I have  applied for TP 1.1 is the best, leaving it up to the theme all those colors, but having the option to copy over TPShout.css from default into the dark theme, and un-comment two lines in there that change the background to a darker one => all done.

ZarPrime